In a comprehensive study, “Comparing Sex Buyers with Men Who Don’t Buy Sex,” Melissa Farley, PHD, Founding Director of the Prostitution Research and Education, compares the characteristics of men who buy sex versus those who don’t. Besides their involvement with prostitution, the men surveyed revealed surprising attitudes and behaviors when it came to sex and women. Here are ten things you may not know about men who buy sex:
- On average, men reported were 21 years of age when they first bought sex.
- 25% of the sex buyers had traveled to another state and while there used women in prostitution.
- 41% of the sex buyers knowingly used a woman in prostitution who was controlled by a pimp.
- 66% of the sex buyers observed that a majority of women are lured, tricked or trafficked into prostitution.
- 74% of the sex buyers reported that they learned about sex from pornography.
- Sex buyers were more than 7x’s more likely than non-sex buyers to acknowledge that they would rape a woman if they could get away with it and if no one knew about it.
- Sex buyers are far more likely than non-sex buyers to commit felonies, misdemeanors, crimes related to violence against women, substance abuse-related crimes, assaults, crimes with weapons, and crimes against authority.
- 89% of sex buyers said they would be deterred from buying sex if their name were to be added to a sex offender registry.
- 90% of sex buyers said they would be deterred from buying sex if a $1,000-$2,000 penalty were imposed.
- 100% of sex buyers said they would be deterred from buying sex if a one month jail term were imposed.
Bridget Battistoni is Director of Operations for REST: Real Escape from the Sex Trade